The State of New York has been commenting on the environmental benefits of EPS and some would say they are not very informed, so
What are the environmental Impacts?
Is EPS Safe?
Post Consumer EPS Recycling Rates
Responsible, Low Impact Manufacturing
production process. No material is wasted and clean EPS can be recycled into new product using this method.
emissions are very low during the manufacture of EPS.
Health and Safety
A small amount of pentane is incorporated into the expandable polystyrene granules as a expanding agent. It is a saturated hydrocarbon, not to be confused with HCFCs and CFCs. Pentane is non-toxic and constitutes no threat to the ozone layer.
- EPS insulation facilitates compliance with ASHRAE 90.1-2004.
- EPS can be manufactured in a variety of densities and thicknesses to meet environmental design criteria to deliver a range of R-value specifications.
- EPS has always been CFC and HCFC free.
- EPS is the only rigid foam insulation that provides long-term thermal resistance that does not need to be adjusted for age.
- EPS building systems reduce air leakage for increased thermal efficiency.
- Recycled content EPS that meets ASTM C578 minimum performance properties can be specified for rigid foam insulation.
- Recycled content polystyrene can be specified when procuring plastic lumber, interior trim, lightweight concrete, asphalt aggregate and other building products.
- Plymouth Foam EPS is manufactured locally, minimizing its distribution radius. Because it is lightweight EPS reduces transportation costs and energy.
- EPS is not known to adversely affect indoor air quality.
- EPS mold resistance tests favorably in accordance with ASTM C1338.
- EPS building systems can prevent noise transmission, resulting in quieter buildings.
- EPS insulation helps maintain a consistent air temperature.
- EPS insulation reduces impacts on the microclimate.
- EPS geofoam maintains ecological integrity and reduces erosions through soil stabilization.
- EPS frost protected shallow foundations (FPSF’s) minimize excavation below the frost line and are ideal for sites with high groundwater table.